Friday, January 20, 2012

Helin

I don't go to Starbucks a lot but there was definitely a time when our home didn't have internet and I was there a lot. This is my usual experience:

Kati: Bir tall latte, lütfen.
Barrista: Tamam. İsim?
Kati: Kati
Barrista: *wild look*
Kati: Kaaah tee?
Barrista: *confused look*

At this point, they give up. They will either hand the cup over to the drink maker without a name or they will give it their best guess. I get a lot of variations of "Kelly" and "Kerry" but the cup below is the most messed up spelling I've ever seen:


Helin???? How? 

I've joked about coming up with a Turkish name just for my Starbucks life but I've decided the next time I go, I'm going to give them "Herrera" and see what happens. Might as well make a game out of it; I'll start a collection of spellings.

Does anyone else have this problem?

3 comments:

  1. Helin is a variation of Elaine which is Greek for Shining light; The bright one. Maybe she knew...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen LOTS of different spellings with Cheryl, also. The weirdest one I've ever seen was "B E T T Y"! LOL.

    ReplyDelete