Saturday, December 3, 2011

How The Nights End

Last night I went out with some friends in Taksim, and as we were leaving, I stopped to take a picture of the clothes store Mango and its marquee. It lists every city that has a Mango, including Dallas, my hometown! Waiting to spot it has become one of my late night traditions. But they are in alphabetical order, and we showed up a little late. So we stood there watching the names of cities around the world go by, Abby and I made a game out of it by pointing out all the ones we've been to. The last time I stood outside to watch for it, my friend and I pointed out cities that we had never heard of. A very different game but just as entertaining. After about 5 minutes, we spotted Dallas!


I get really excited when I see Dallas, and it has nothing to do with the fact that it's usually very late on a Friday night. Ok, that factors in a little bit. Nonetheless, it's awesome to see this small connection from two important places in my life. Maybe people from Rome and Damascus feel the same way?

Two additional thoughts. First, Crete is an island not a city, and Deira is a part of Dubai. Why would they abandon the city theme? Crete has individual cities, I'm sure the Mango is in one of them and there is more than one Mango in Istanbul but the individual neighborhoods don't come up on this marquee so why are Crete and Deira so special, huh? Second, I had no idea where Rotterdam was. I had to Google it. 

So yes. I'm a nerd who thinks it's fun to play geography games at 1am on a Friday night in the bar district of Istanbul. Sorry I'm not sorry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment