Thursday, December 8, 2011

Turkish Wine

Today Chris' friend came into town so we went out to a wine bar to celebrate. The wine bar is called Sensus, and it only serves Turkish wine. It's right next to Galata Tower inside the basement of a hotel, and it has a real cellar-y feel to it. The floors and walls are all stone, and there is bright but localized light. Lots of bright and dark spaces with everything in between very soft. 


The people working there help you make selections on what kind of wine to try, and you can buy it by the bottle or the glass. Tonight we were all drinking the same Cab. I don't know a lot about wine so I can't tell you about the fruity flavors and woody aftertaste or whatever it is that wine people say about wine. I thought it was good. 


Back in August, Chris had this idea that we should try a new Turkish wine every week and rate them. He really wanted to know more about Turkish wine and wine in general. It worked for a couple weeks - he would carefully record our impressions of the wine and we would all give it a grade based on taste and price. After tonight, I think it would be fun to get back into that. 

Coincidentally my mother and my friend went to a Turkish restaurant in New York City last night and drank a bit of Turkish wine. I asked my mom if she remembered what it was called. She told me all she remembered was that it was the third one down on the list. It seems we could all learn a little something about Turkish wine.

3 comments:

  1. I love that place - I met Abby and Uri there for wine and giggles. Another fun place to go for wine and cheese is the Four Seasons Sultanahmet on Friday Nights. They offer a wine tasting/edibles for 40TL. Very relaxing and classy atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit is an understatement...It was called Kavaklidere Yakut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And thanks so much to our dear friend Katherine, because she didn't hand your mother over to port authority. I still am unsure of the implications of being handed over to port authority, but I instinctively knew I did not want that to happen.

    P.S. Excellent wine choice!

    ReplyDelete