Monday, December 19, 2011

Smiling In Both Directions

Today was my birthday! It didn't really feel like my birthday though. It was the first birthday that I've spent away from home; also, my mom takes my birthdays very seriously and there's always a great party. So it was weird this year. Weird but good. I went present shopping for Amy and her family who I'm seeing in Dubai and then I had dinner with one of my very first Turkish friends, Kerem. 


This is a picture of our dessert. It's a face that's smiling at both Kerem and me. We met three and a half years ago on my first trip to Turkey and went three years without seeing each, and as soon as I arrived in Istanbul, he just HAD to go back to Oxford. So he's back again for the winter break and we took some time to catch up. 

I tend to get pretty lazy when it comes to studying Turkish but dinner tonight renewed my efforts. Our conversations reminded me of Turkey back in the old days of 2008. It reminded me of the fun that I had in that summer and why/how I became interested in Turkish in the first place. Over the course of three years, I have forgotten the path that led me to where I am now. Literally where I am now. I forgot how I got from being a freshman at Princeton to sitting on this couch and typing this. 

Kerem can be found throughout this crazy story but most importantly, he can be found at the beginning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment