Tuesday, February 21, 2012

After All

People sometimes tell me that I'm "brave" for moving halfway around the world but I don't buy it. This world is getting smaller everyday. With the Internet, I can do almost anything in Turkey that I would be doing in America anyway. I watch the same tv shows, I text via iMessage, and I talk to my mom about twice a week. 

On January 6, 2012, my best friend from elementary school got married. We have know each other for over 15 years, and I've know her husband for over 6 years. We go way back. And while I would have LOVED LOVED LOVED to be at her wedding, it didn't work out for me to fly home. Luckily, they made it possible for me to Skype into their wedding. 


I watched her walk down the aisle, I saw them take their vows, and I chatted with old friends at the reception just like a regular guest. And while I missed the dancing and the bouquet toss, I was able to be a part of their day. 

If I had come to Istanbul even 10 years ago, this wouldn't have been possible. My connection to home would be making international collect calls, buying the International Herald Tribune, and waiting for your letters, which we've established would never work. Moving to Turkey in 2011 isn't brave. It's surprisingly easy. Sure, I lost IRL contact with my family and my friends but when we graduated from college, everyone scattered. If I had stayed somewhere in the States, I wouldn't see my friends in DC, New York, or LA anyway. 

I just want to say that the Internet is awesome. And for the record, I only moved 1/3 of the way around the world. See, I'm already closer than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment