Thursday, February 9, 2012

Daha Kar

It was snowing tonight when I left work. I decided to see how far I could make it on foot. My plan was to walk to the bus stop (about 15 minutes away), take the bus another 15 minutes, and then slide down the hill on my butt. Only one part of that worked out.


My plans were first thwarted before I even got to the bus stop when I wiped out. Wiped. Out. My keys flew out of my pocket. It was like this story without the Aman!Aman!Aman! guy to save me. These valet guys tried to give me napkins to dry my entire left side, and instead I just asked them to get me a taksi. I was ready to abandon the whole bus idea. 

I hopped in the taksi and he started heading down the hill. And then we slid downhill for a block. He decided that he was not going to be driving me down the hill. He told me he would take me as far as the bus would have taken me anyway and I would have to walk down the hill. 

We got 3/4 of the way to the place at the top of the hill where he was going to drop me off, and there was a car stuck in the middle of the road. It had spun out and couldn't get traction, and traffic was backing up. The guy decided that I should probably just get out and walk from there. I agreed. 


I walked about 5 minutes, then started making my way down the hill. It wasn't so bad. In general, I always try to keep my eyes open for slide marks, like the one above. These are places where someone before me has encountered a slippery patch. Except, unfortunately for me, that's my slide mark. I only fell for real the one time but I was slipping and sliding all the way down the hill. 

I spent 6 lira. I still had to walk down the hill in the snow, and it still took me longer than usual. I'm not putting this one in the "Win" category. 

No comments:

Post a Comment