Saturday, February 18, 2012

Walls

The other day we walked along the Walls of Constantinople. These babies were built in the 5th century. 


According to the Internet, it could be either the Theodosian Walls or the Walls of Blachernae. I really can't tell the difference between the two. But anyway, we were able to find some derelict stairs and climb up into one of the towers. 


And we saw some crops growing. Yeah, again I'm not really sure what was going on with them but between the road and the wall, there were farmers. 


As we know, I don't know plants but I'll imagine that there are baby carrots growing, or at least some kind of root vegetable. 

To recap - I don't know which walls those were, why there were small strips of farmland, or what they were growing. But I do know the walls are old and the vegetables are new, and there is no other city in the world like this. 

2 comments:

  1. hahaha! "I'll imagine that there are baby carrots growing..." I picture you saying this while prancing through security at the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its because in the past, there was a canal infront of the walls and not anymore, but the ground is still very fertile..

    ReplyDelete